Icon of Saint George.
The icon, associated with a significant Constantinopolitan workshop, constitutes a valuable refugee heirloom, originating most likely in Tyana, Cappadocia. Its provenance has been documented in the BCM refugee heirlooms inventory. This information was possibly extracted from a rough note of the Tyana Board of Commissioners found in the Museum’s historical archive, in which the icon has been recorded. The icon was received “in two fragments”, on February 16 1925, together with 29 other objects,includinga post-byzantine icon of Saint Eustathios, also originating in Tyana, Cappadocia.
The icon of Saint George and the mosaic icon of the Virgin Glykophilousa “the Episkepsis” (BXM 990) are among the most important acquisitions of the Museum’s refugee heirlooms, offering valuable information on the high-level artistic creation that flourished in Constantinople during the Palaeologan period.